Summer Internship Opportunity: Unexpected Performances in Unconventional Places
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MARCH 17
AHA! Manhattan, the Arts & Humanities Association of Manhattan, is seeking an intern for a unique opportunity during the summer of 2017. AHA! is a consortium of local organizations involved in the arts and humanities. The internship shall run from June 1 through August 12 with variable hours each week. Start and end dates may be negotiated.
A significant component of the internship will be public performance and interaction, with a particular emphasis on connecting with communities and populations unaware of arts and humanities opportunities in the area. In addition to performing, the intern should also encourage participation. The intern will be the primary performer/educator.
Submit a cover letter describing your vision for outreach activity with resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 17, 2017. Interviews will take place during the month of March with the internship announced by April 30.
Some potential examples:
· Create sidewalk art and invite people to draw.
· Have a poetry reading at the splash park then have the children write their own poems.
· Lead spontaneous tours of historic Manhattan.
· Give musical performance with opportunities to participate or ask questions.
These are only examples. The intern is encouraged to think creatively about how to engage community members in the arts and humanities. The intern may also do presentations for community groups and organizations.
The internship includes a $500 stipend with an additional $100+ available for material reimbursement.
Duties include but are not limited to:
· The intern shall average 2 hours per week performing or presenting to the public. An aspect of this should include community participation or interaction.
· The internship shall average 2 hours per week developing their program, including making contacts within the community.
· Keep a log of time spent with descriptions of events and analysis of event success.
· Update and maintain a procedures manual with community contacts.
· Have an awareness of and promote upcoming Aha! member events.
· Weekly or as needed meetings with Aha! intern advisors.
· Attend monthly Aha! meetings when possible.
· Post regularly to social media.
Please contact Jonathan Mertz at email@example.com or (785) 587‐2729 ext. 208.